I’m happy to report that the singlets have been started. I have picked up several patterns and have been trying them out. So far I have had slightly mixed results.
The first pattern (lavender singlet) was fairly straight forward when knitting up but I probably won’t use it again. It has overlapping shoulders and, to me, it seems a bit bulky around the armholes. It was definitely worth giving it a go though.
The second one I tried was the blue one. This is a good pattern which I will keep on using. The problem I ran into with this one was a slight shortage of wool. I was away for work last week and took my knitting with me (of course!) thinking I would get a couple of singlets finished in the evenings. I was going really well with the little blue singlet. It is knitted in one piece to reduce seams which is a great idea except that I ran out of wool with only 8 rows to go.
I decided to put it aside in the hope that I might have a little bit of wool at home to finish it off. I started knitting the white singlet, which is another pattern I will definitely continue using. Unfortunately I was unable to find any more blue wool so decided to pull the singlet undone past the neck shaping and take 4 rows out of the length on each side just below the neck. I have just about finished reknitting it so am hoping for a successful outcome this time.
Luckily the white singlet has not had any issues so far. I have finished one side (the front and back are knitted the same) and have started one the second. Hopefully I will soon have three completed singlets to pass on to the neonatal unit.