I have finished my first two Octopals and they are on their way. I posted them a couple of days ago and am now looking forward to getting feedback on whether they meet the required standard. Fingers crossed! I will let you know when I hear from Dawn Harpur at OFAPNZ.
The yarn Dawn sent me has been quite fascinating to work with. You can see from the photos what a range of colours there are in the one skein. The octopus was made first and then I went straight into the jellyfish. I have included a back view of the jellyfish to show the complete colour range. It was a 100g ball and I should be able to get at least two, and probably three, more out of it. (See photos of the Ice Yarn ball in “OFAPNZ” and “Slow Start To 2019”.)
I had a bit of a setback when I was making my jellyfish. I am notorious for “tweaking” patterns and I was determined to be a good girl and follow the patterns exactly for the Octopals. There are necessarily strict rules for them as they are going to such vulnerable little babies.
I read the instructions for the tentacle row and the following row several times and was very tempted to “interpret” them, but decided to stick with how they were written and see what happened. Well, what happened was that my instincts had been right and I had to pull it undone and redo it. I have mentioned this to Dawn and will know better next time. It was still a good learning experience.
Overall I think I prefer making the octopus, but that may just be because I am a bit more familiar with it. The important thing is to keep making more now that I have finally got some finished.