I’ve made a start on my son’s birthday present and the Hokitika hat has been finished – twice! In fact, it was actually started twice and finished twice.
So, let me explain. I had a hat pattern sorted out for the Aran wool I mentioned in “So – There Was A Wool Sale”. After starting to knit it I made the mistake of looking on Ravelry again. Inevitably I found another pattern that I decided would look better. I didn’t pull the first one undone until I had started the second one and decided that I really did like it better. This was how I ended up starting twice. (The first one did get pulled undone.)
The shaping of the crown on this hat requires a bit of concentration, so I stayed up a bit late on Thursday night to get it finished. I had decided to try to shift the pattern band down the hat by a few rows. However, once the hat was finished I decided the whole thing was too long. This resulted in me pulling it back below the last six rows of the pattern band on Friday. I took out the last cable at the top, and four rows of the double rib, then finished it off again.
You can see the difference in the two photos. I am pleased I took the time to make the changes as I think it looks a lot better now. It will fit better too. By the way, the photo at the top shows the colour more accurately than these two photos.
I am now under way with a pair of fingerless mitts to go with the hat. Of course I can’t do things the easy way, so I am using a plain pattern and incorporating the cable pattern from the hat into the mitts. Hopefully there will be an update on them soon.