My catching up this week has not just been hand crafts. I also dusted off my sewing machine and have been catching up with a few sewing jobs that have been waiting for a while.
The first thing I needed to do was fix some trousers, which was the main motivating factor for getting my machine out. Some of the stitching on the waist band had been gradually coming undone. I have gone over it and replaced the missing sections. This means I can now wear them without the risk of a possible “wardrobe malfunction” – always a good thing to avoid!
In January our landlord bought some new curtains for our lounge. At the time I said I was happy to make a small curtain for the back bedroom that I mainly use for an office. It has had this funny almost rattan-like blind there since we moved in. It doesn’t matter when I am using the room, but it isn’t very practical when grandchildren are staying because it doesn’t really block out much light.
The material for the small curtain was purchased at the same time as the lounge curtains and had been sitting on the spare bed ever since. I decided to make the most of having my machine set up and dutifully made up the curtain. It didn’t take very long and turned out to be the easy part of the exercise.
The blind had been held up by some rather unusual brackets which proved to be a bit fiddly to remove. The next step was to put up the new curtain track. This was delayed by several technical issues, including the drill battery going flat just after I finally started attaching the brackets. Happily the job is now finished and the curtain is up.
Now I need to move onto the next job(s).